Travel tips for Murex Dive Resorts in Indonesia
Getting to Murex Manado & Murex Bangka
Transfers from Manado Airport take approximately 50 minutes by road to Murex Manado and approximately 1 hours, followed by a 20 minute boat ride for guests heading to Murex Bangka. All transfers to Murex Resorts are carried out using air-conditioned vehicles. For guests staying at other locations in North Sulawesi before visiting Murex Resorts, a point-to-point transfer can be arranged by the resort. All transfers are point-to-point – if you are coming from Gangga or Siladen, transfers will be arranged directly from the other Resort’s nominated pier to our resort. Alternatively, we can arrange boat transfers in some instances, allowing you to dive between properties.
We will have a member of staff to meet you at the airport. They will be waiting just outside the arrivals area holding a sign with the Murex Resort Logo with your name on it and a big smile.
Indonesia Entry Requirements
You will need a tourist visa to enter Indonesia, which will be issued free of charge on arrival (Visa On Arrival VOA) at Manado Airport to citizens of most nationalities. For a complete list of eligible countries please visit this website.
Alternatively, you may apply for a visa before you leave home by contacting the Indonesian Embassy or Consulate in your country. For further up-to-date information about travel matters, please visit Indonesia’s Department of Foreign Affairs website at www.deplu.go.id to find the embassy or consulate nearest to you.
Language in Indonesia
The official language in Indonesia is Bahasa Indonesia. The staff at Murex Resort are multilingual and English is widely spoken. Other languages spoken by management are Dutch, Germam and French.
Health & Vaccinations
- There is no vaccination needed for North Sulawesi, however – we are advising all travelers to visit either their personal physician or a travel health clinic 4-8 weeks before departure.
- There are cases of malaria and dengue fever in North Sulawesi. If you plan to travel overland throughout the region you may consider precaution. If you are susceptible to mosquito bites, we have lotions available in the gift shop.
Medical Care in North Sulawesi from Manado & Bangka
Murex Resort Manado and Bangka has contingency medical plans for diving and non-diving related emergencies and has first aid kits and oxygen on site and on the dive boats. The closest recompression chamber is in Manado, which is 30 minutes from Murex Manado and a boat ride plus 1 hour from Murex Bangka by car. We recommend that all guests have travel and dive insurance. There are plenty of pharmacies and dentists in Manado and there is a brand new private general hospital in the city, that has more-than-adequate medical care.
Electricity in Indonesia
All rooms are fitted with 2 Round Pin Plug Sockets (European Standard) and the electricity is 220v. We have ample plug socket adapters and also have power strips that can be lent to guests, you needn’t bring your own.
Internet Access at Murex Resorts
Manado & Bangka Resorts offer wireless Internet service in the restaurant free of charge. Due to local access, this is not broadband strength internet and there can be occasional outages but these are few and far between.
Time Zone in Sulawesi, Indonesia
- GMT + 08:00 – Singapore, Sulawesi, Bali, Lombok and Komodo are all the same time.
- Clocks do not change for daylight saving in Indonesia.
- There are three Standard Time zones:
Sumatra, Java and West & Central Kalimantan are 7 hours ahead of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT+7). Bali, Nusa Tenggara, South & East Kalimantan and Sulawesi are 8 hours ahead of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT+8). West Papua and Maluku are 9 hours ahead of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT+9)
Currency & Exchange Rates>
Indonesian currency is the Rupiah (IDR). Money is easily changed at banks and official money changing offices. However exchange rates can fluctuate. ATM machines are readily available and banks will provide cash withdrawal via the Visa and MasterCard networks. If you bring cash it is best to use clean, crisp, new bills. US$100 bills receive a better exchange rate than $50, $20 etc.
When settling your bill, Murex Resort accepts US Dollars and Euros. We also accept Visa and MasterCard.
Security in North Sulawesi
Murex Resorts has trained security officers on duty 24 hours a day, having said that we have not had any issues with security since the resorts have been in operation. North Sulawesi is mainly a Christian area (70-80%), and the people of North Sulawesi are friendly and welcoming to tourists.
What to Wear
- Above – Dress is usually informal in Indonesia due to the warm, humid climate and lightweight fabrics are recommended. So normally it is shorts and t-shirt by day (even if it rains because it’s warm tropical rain) and at night the dress code is casual. Light windbreakers, wraps, or sweatshirt should also be considered as it does cool down at night (or in case of the occasional rain storm).
- Below – We recommend wearing either a 3mm or 5mm full-length wetsuit depending on your sensitivity to cold and which month you will be here. Water temperature varies by only a few degrees throughout the year. It lingers around 28-29 degrees Celsius (82-84 F) from October to March. Then it drops slightly in April, May, June and September to 26-27 degrees Celsius (79-81F). In Bangka the coldest months are July and August, with average water temperatures of about 25-26 degrees Celsius (77-79 F).
Manado Airport Departure Tax
There is no more departure tax due when you are leaving through Manado airport.